Tuesday, March 28, 2006

It's such a Small Small World.

This coincidental story starts on 25th March 2006, Saturday.

It was my Hokkien Ma's birthday dinner and I was sitting on the same table as my uncle and aunt. They asked me where am I working for my holidays, I told them, "Samsung, picking up calls".

Today, 3days after the dinner, I started work as usual, feeling moody. At approximately 11am, an uncle called. I took down his particulars and found it familiar. Is he my uncle on the other end? Or is it just a mistake? Because there is just too many uncertainties.

Doubt no.1 - My cousin's sirname is 'Huang'. This uncle is 'Ng'.

Doubt no.2 - Is my uncle's house unit no. the same as this uncle?

Doubt no.3 - I've never heard my uncle conversing in english and his tone sounds different through the phone.

So, I decided to give my mom a call to confirm. My mom was talking to my aunt on the other line Just before I called. Like the very next sec my aunt puts down the phone, I called.

Confirmation complete. That's my uncle.

I was like too elated to pick up more calls. Zw and shan could sense my excitement. Zw quickly set the appointment for me so that I can call my uncle (to confirm the appointment time) and calm myself down.

I dialled the numbers and waited...

I spoke as usual, "Hello, SHEENA calling from samsung customer service."
He didn't budge.

I act nothing happened and did the official stuff first.

After official things done, I spoke again, "Hello, 伯伯,我是小颖。黄洁颖。"(The 2nd word in my name is wrong, it's a rare word and i cant find it in this chinese dictionary, so i'll make do with this one.)

He was surprised. We chatted for a while and I had to go pick up more calls.

How small can this world get?

No comments: