Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Life as an Operator

I just got off a phone with an interesting customer. She's an old lady who lives with her mother. She has some problem with her samsung handphone. This is the conversation we had:

Old lady-Janet
Operator-Me

Me: Gd aftnoon, Sheena speaking, how may i help you?

Janet: Yes, Hi Sheena. I am having problems with my handphone.

Me: Ok, so what is the model of your handphone?

Janet: Oh, wait ah, I'll have to check. It is

Me: Sure
(After a few seconds)

Janet: It's X640C.

Me: So what's the problem with your phone?

Janet: When I talk on the phone, the person on the other line is very loud. I've tried to make the volume softer but it doesn't seem to work. How do you actually change the volume?

Me: I see. When you are answering a phone call, press the "-" button on the side of the phone to turn the volume softer.

Janet: Yes, I did just that, but it is still very loud. It is very embarrasing you know. Everytime I pick up the call then other people can hear what the other person is saying, it is very embarrassing you know.

Me: Hmm.. yes I know how you feel. The method I taught you is the only way to change the volume. I suspect there's a more tricky problem to the phone. You'll have to send the phone down to one of our service centres. We have 4 service centres. They are Plaza Singapura, Century Sq, Causeway Point and Toh Guan Rd. May I know which service centre are you nearest to?

Janet: Century Sq. But I am a very busy lady. I can only get out on Sundays because I need to take care of my mother. How to go there ah?

Me: Stop at Tampines MRT Station and you'll see Tampines Mall. Century Sq is just behind Tampines Mall.

Janet: Oh.. MRT ah? Do you know what are the buses that goes to Century Sq so I don't have to waste time. Because only on Sundays can I go out, and I'll go to the church, then go and clean my house and then cook for my mother and take care of her. I need to make this trip a fast one you see. Are you able to help me?

Me: There's a bus interchange at Tampines. I'm not sure what are the buses available there.

Janet: You don't know ah. You don't live near there izzit? Where do you live?

Me: I live in Pasir Panjang

Janet: Oh... I live in Marine Parade. Is Pasir Panjang near the coast?

Me: Yes. It's actually near Sentosa.

Janet: Wow! Sentosa. Oh.. I just remember I have a bus guide with me. Sigh. The words are so small, I this old lady eyes are bad lah, cannot see clearly. What time issit ah?

Me: It's 2pm.

Janet: 2pm already ah.. I tot it's 1pm, because I never wear my glasses, I am old and the clock is so far away.. My mother is sleeping now la that's why I can call. Otherwise she will keep bothering me and kaypo what I do you know. She's very bossy. Last time when I was young, I like to climb tress. I will climb trees secretly because my mother don't like me to climb. Do you know how to climb trees?

Me: No. I'm afraid I will fall.
(And she continues to talk about her life story and her trips to the church on sundays and her mother and etc. etc. etc.)

Approximately 20mins later....

Janet: I am not holding you up, am I? Are you very busy now?

Me: (trying not to be rude) No. Not at all. It's my pleasure to help you Mdm.

Janet: Good. I am so afraid I am disturbing you.
(Tried to continue with her stories...)

Me: (Immediately after she paused) So Mdm, you know how to get to Century Sq. am I right?

Janet: Oh yes. I am able to get there now. Thanks so much for your help. You are so helpful, luckily you are able to help me, otherwise this old lady will be so lost you know.

Me: You are welcome Mdm. If you need anymore help, just call back this hotline again and ask for me. My name is Sheena. I will try my best to help you in anyway I can.

Janet: Thank you so much, Sheena.

Me: Thank you Mdm, Thank you for calling. Bye.

Janet: Thank you Thank you. Bye Bye.
(And finally she puts down the phone.)

It took me 2days to get this entry done. Simply it's too time consuming. I've decided to cut the conversation short. Interesting lady, reminds me of my own Ah ma...

Finished on 24/03/06, 9.08am.

No comments: