Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Dad Mom is Planning For The Future

Ever since my trip to the USA College Exhibit, my dad has been harping on the issue of planning our future.

Frankly speaking, he's very worried about our lives 10 years later. In his perspective, Singapore is growing too fast and in 5 years time, we wouldn't be able to survive as well as we are now (that is if they had to depend on us).

He knows my kor has plans for himself, but that doesn't mean he is contented with my kor's ideals, it's just that they've given up on him. Since his goal in life is to make money, then earning enough to keep himself alive wouldn't be an issue. It's having the right morals they are worried about.

So my dad has been asking us on our plans for the future. Since I'm already searching for a university, I'm fortunately off the hook. My other brother is feeling the pressure already.

Being the youngest and having A'Levels tightening around his neck, he's already facing enough stress. Now my dad throws a Big question in front of him and he daringly replied with an unsatisfactory answer... he said, "Don't worry, I've not changed my dreams for 2 years already."

I was laughing my ass off quietly when I heard this answer... so much for don't worry. Then, the drilling started. Somehow, we got into the topic of maintaining our standard of living and everyone except my mom, agreed that our family belongs to the upper middle class segment. She thinks that we are only middle class people, but I think she's just giving excuses to be stingy.

My brother made this comment:
"In FMSS, I'm considered Upper Middle Class among my friends. But after entering ACJC, I become 2faced. In front of my Fairfield friends, I'm Upper Middle Class. In front of ACJC, I'm only Middle Class."

My dad replied his comment:
"That's why I'm giving you $X00 of pocket money a month, so that you can fit in."

My thoughts at that moment:
"I should have stayed in Fairfield, then I would have a higher chance to get into ACJC."

We could tell that our Dad is earnestly worried for our future, but I kinda doubt my mom's sincerity.

All because she said this:
"You all have to plan for your futures now. Now that the CPF age limit is increasing, in the future we will need you all to support us, you know?"

I think she's just mostly worried about her life after retirement.
I could see how much she yearns for that day.

No comments: