Thursday, May 14, 2009

I feel like I'm enlightened.

All these while, I've lived my life thinking that Singapore is a great place to live in, and it would be totally perfect to maintain life as the way it is in Singapore.

But after experiencing life in a foreign land, I've seen how things could work differently, and how overprotected Singapore is.

Truthfully, our government is like the perfect nanny caring for a four year old, when in actual fact, we're already in our Forties.

What I'm saying is... Is Singapore over-reacting to swine flu?
I'd put most of the blame on Singapore's press. As the most widely circulated paper in Singapore, just like any other day, The Straits Times published swine flu on it's front page, and all I'm reading in The Australian's front page is the pope and iraq wars.

The swine flu would get full page reports on updates from all over the world. An article for each country in The Straits Times. And all I'm reading in The Australian is a less than a quarter page of it in the last page of World section.

I was required to search for articles for an assignment, which brought me to newspapers from around the world. And it did get slightly better than Australia. The swine flu got a quarter page in The Wall Street Journal for god knows which page of which section.

The Straits Times, like always, in every other matter, is controlling the minds of Singaporeans, making us overly sensitive and overprotected.

Whoever said that kids from broken families and suspicious backgrounds are not good and nice children?

If you haven't noticed, I'm consoling myself for the fact that Thailand just announced 2 cases of swine flu (fortunately, the 2 people have recovered). This is soooo NOT what I need right now.

Singapore's press is making Swine flu sound like SARS!!!
And they're ruining my chance of flying to Bangkok!!!
CURSES!!!

If in any way am I consoled, is the new news that the Asian summit might be postponed to October.
Na says: Phew! Less political chaos.... but more pandemic epidemic woes!!! *That is IF it really IS postponed*

No comments: