Sunday, August 13, 2006

I left out something in the previous entry.

Just to let you know that on National Day, 9th August 2006, I'm an auntie again.

Except that this time, the relationship between this nephew and I is rather complicated. So, how should I start....

Ok. Many Many years ago, before my ah ma left indonesia for singapore, she gave one of her daughters to her sister for her to adopt. So now, I have an auntie who has 2 mothers - 1 adopted mom(grandaunt) and 1 birth mom(my ah ma). My ah ma came to singapore and left my aunt and grandaunt in indonesia. My aunt no longer calls my ah ma 'mother' anymore.

Many years later, my grandaunt passed away. My aunt comes back to reconcile with my ah ma, but my aunt's documents still states that my grandaunt is her mother. Officially, my ah ma is her aunt.

Confusing? Take some time to digest.. that is if u're interested...

So now, this nephew is this aunt's grandson. Which makes him a close relative by blood, by not by heart.
Well, some may say that even if he was a distant relative, he'll still be blood related.. which is not in this case. Another complicated story...

My ah ma and my grandaunt have different mothers. My ah ma was my greatgrandfather's 1st child. My greatgrandmother died when my ah ma was 4 or 5 years old. My greatgrandfather remarried and had a few more daughters. This grandaunt was one of them. So my ah ma was raised by a stepmother and raised a bunch of stepsisters for the rest of her life.

I wouldn't have known so much if I didn't spend time with my ah ma. Her life is really very complicated and she still hasnt' finished her story. From what I know, this family has alot of secrets hidden from my generation(3rd generation). The 2nd generation knows things that we are not suppose to know, but my ah ma slipped her tongue when we chat. These secrets are deadly and can hurt someone's heart if leaked out.
Shite. If only my ah ma didn't tell me.. but I guess she forgot that she told me... I'll just pretend I know nothing...

No comments: