Tuesday, September 02, 2008

RiverFest 2008

In Brisbane, the sun starts to set at 5-ish and turns dark completely at 6pm. It's alittle different from Singapore and I'm not really used to it yet.
So at 5pm, we set off to the South Bank, across the river from the city, to watch the magnificent display of Fireworks at 7pm.
We didn't need 2 hours to get to South Bank from school, but we had to get there early to chop seats right? Typical Singaporean... but No. The Aussies were there since 3-4pm to get comfy good seats. Most of them decided to have a picnic before the fireworks, a handful gathered all their friends and drove a BBQ pit to the park for a pre-fireworks party.The event started with a count down to 7pm. I was like, "What were they counting down to?" And a fire jet swoop down at close proximity over our heads. It freaked the hell out of me (and alot other people around me).
So the 30mins long fireworks began. Fireworks were put up along the river, but the main show was at this bridge. The main show was partnered by occasional fireworks coming out from the top of the high-rise buildings across the river. They plant fireworks on every place you could set your eyes on. Under the bridge, on top of the bridge, from the river, both sides of the bridge, on top of buildings, etc...
After it ended, we had trouble finding our way back. The buses were full, the queue to the ferry was so long, I couldn't see the jetty from the back. I didn't even wanna try the train. Well, in times like this, my legs are my best bet. If you can see from the 1st picture, the white wheel in the background is That far away from me. This is how far I walked and more.
And when we get too tired of squeezing in between people to get our way through, we would stop to capture a once in a lifetime memory.
So, the wheel was once behind us, but now, it's across the river. Yea, we crossed a bridge meant for cars (no worries, the bridge is closed for pedestrians that night) to get to the other side of the river. I didn't realise how much we walked until I got back. But then again, do I always walk that much back in Sg during our night walks?
Neways, I managed to catch a CityCat (ferry) frm across the river, where the queue is 5times shorter than the one at the event grounds.

So then,
That's All Folks!

Stay tuned for Drama Mama Maid Terror post coming right up!

No comments: