Saturday, May 31, 2008

There's More Than It Meets The Eye

I'm not sure if anyone remembers or even noticed, but I did mention that there's a part 2 to the Black Magic Story...

2 weeks "Flew by" just like that, and...
YES! Na has conquered the washing machine!
except the occasional lizards popping out of the dustbin while I was emptying is really getting on my nerves. Anymore of these scares and I'll soon develop a phobia of dustbins.
And not to mention the nasty pungent smell of roaches in the backyard everynight, haunting my mom and I while we're doing the laundry. The men in the house have been avoiding that area ever since then. I believe the rain must have forced them out of the drain.

Anyways, in less than 24 hours, I MIGHT have my maid back.

I used the word "MIGHT" mainly because of 2 reasons.

Reason No.1
After my maid left, my neighbour's maid came to kaypoh. She probed my mom and I about my maid's reasons for leaving. She didn't get much out of me cuz I don't know how to tell her the ridiculous story of Black Magic, but my mom did manage to get the message across.
According to my neighbour's maid, during their few conversations (my maid's an Indonesian, my neighbour's maid is a Filipino) my maid mentioned that she hears children playing and crying in the house at night, she sees things.
My neighbour's maid suspect that my maid is mentally unstable because she's often seen talking and laughing to herself.
Erm... I know about that, but I always thought she's just lonely. My dad talks to himself sometimes, mostly when he's stressed flooding his mind with his projects. I thought my maid was just homesick...

Okays, so these few days, my mom has been thinking. She suspect that my neighbour's maid might be right - my maid is crazy.
*Na Rolls Eyes* She probably just got Depression.

So she starts worrying. She's afraid that there just might be this One Fine Day when my maid can't take it anymore and starts doing harmful stuff.
I quote her, "Anything can happen, you know?"
or what if her condition stabilizes after she returns, but how long will it last?
She might still be seeing and hearing things...

My mom is considering changing the maid... sigh.

Reason No.2
Before departing for a "vacation", domestic maids must go to the Indonesia embassy to get a stamp so that upon returning to Singapore, she will only need to pay S$40 to enter the immigration. Without the stamp, domestic maids will have to pay S$200.

Our family has always been sending maids back for good, we've never had anyone who wished to return to work. (Mainly because when my AhMa was still around, she used to be very demanding.)
Therefore, we didn't know of this policy until the day of her departure.

There wasn't time to get the stamp, so my mom gave my maid S$400 to bring home. S$200 to pay the immigration, and the rest for whatever else.

A few days ago, we received a call from my maid. At first, I thought she was being thoughtful, calling to see how we're surviving doing. Apparently, she called to ask my mom for help. She spent all her S$400 and now has no money to return.

Seriously, how does she expect my mom to help her!? She has no money with us, because she used all her money she earned in Singapore (she only started making profits after finish paying her debts to the agent).

She don't expect my mom to lend her money because we're not that dumb!
My mom doesn't trust her enough to remit money over and risk the maid from "putting aeroplane" on the date she's suppose to arrive.


So, for whatever reasons, if my maid really doesn't appear in the airport tomorrow, my mom will be the least worried among us all. I'd probably be hit the hardest, because that would mean another (at least) 2 more weeks of Hell!
I've been the only one helping out with the chores, because I'm a girl. Grrrr!!!

Suddenly I feel like I should support Hillary for President.
I demand equal rights for women!

No comments: